Religions are a system of beliefs that unite people around the world, religions introduce ethical values and religious practices in the human history. The religions sets the ground rules for the people to be in limit and enjoy their freedom. For Example, Christianity sets limits, Torah sets limits so people not harm fellow humans while enjoying the right of their life and the right for freedom and liberty. The Holy Bible tells us 6000 years before, Thou shalt not kill, You shall not murder, is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah. Let’s examine two biggest religions of the world that is followed by 4.3 billion people, the belief of 2.5 billion christians that based on Gospel of Torah and the belief of 1.8 billion muslims that also claim that it is based on christianity and torah.
The Belief of Israelis (Jews) and The Belief of 2.5 Billion Christians, 3500 years before based on Torah and Gospel 2000 Years Before
- God spoke all these words: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Holy Bible – Exodus 20: 1-6)
- It is the fourth commandment of God “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Exodus 21:15 “Whoever strikes his father or his mother shall be put to death.” Bible also tells in Proverbs 20:20 “If someone curses their father or mother, their lamp will be snuffed out in pitch darkness.”
- “You shall not murder.” Exodus 20: 13 Apostle John (Apostle of Jesus Christ) writes “For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” and in the last book of Holy Bible it’s written “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs,those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” Revelation 22:14-15
- ‘If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and are unable to support themselves among you, help them as you would a foreigner and stranger, so they can continue to live among you. Do not take interest or any profit from them, but fear your God, so that they may continue to live among you. You must not lend them money at interest or sell them food at a profit. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan and to be your God.” Leviticus 25:35-38
- Proverbs 15:1, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:21-22 It is also written “The king will answer them, ‘I can guarantee this truth: Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did for me.'” Matthew 25:40 Bible tells that if any one will start to love their neighbor, there will be no crimes in the society. “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.” Romans 13:8-10
- “You shall not commit adultery.” Exodus 20:14 Sex between husband and wife is a gift from heavens, but it is corrupted if it’s out of marriage. As it hurts a person’s feeling who is being cheated by his/her spouse. Bible tells cheating, adultery, sex without marriage is a sin. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Exodus 20:17
- “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.” Exodus 20:16 “A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.” Proverbs 6:19 We know that according to International Law, Criminal law, false testimony is a big crime in the international criminal proceedings. A witness who intentionally lies under oath has committed perjury and could be convicted of that crime. The crime of perjury carries the possibility of a prison sentence and a fine paid to the government.
The Belief of 1.8 Billion Muslims, 1400 years before
- Shirk is ascribing partners with Allah, and is indeed the greatest of all sins. It is stated in the Noble Qur’an: “Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him, but He forgives anything else, to whom He pleases. To set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin most heinous indeed” (Qur’an 4:48).
- Committing witchcraft is also a kind of shirk, because it involves worshipping the jinn as well as seeking their help to misguide people. The black magic that is used harms people and creates illusions by the means of jinn. The Prophet (pbuh) warned about fortune-tellers and said, “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about something, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days”. (Shaih Muslim Hadith 2230) It is written in Quran SURAH SABA 34:14 “And when We decreed for Solomon death, nothing indicated to the jinn his death except a creature of the earth eating his staff. But when he fell, it became clear to the jinn that if they had known the unseen, they would not have remained in humiliating punishment.” While it is also states in the Quran An-naml 27:65 Say: “None in the heavens or on the earth has knowledge of the Unseen save Allah. They do not know when they will be raised to life.”
- Murder or killing a soul whom Allah (swt) has forbidden us to kill is a great sin. Allah (swt) stats in the Noble Qur’an: “We ordained therein for them: “Life for life, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds, equal for equal.” But if any one remits the retaliation by way of charity, it is an act of atonement for him. And if anyone fails to judge by (the light of) what Allah has revealed, they are (no better than) wrong-doers”. (Qur’an 5:45)
- Devouring an Orphan’s wealth is a not permissible as an orphan is weak and needs care, and a real believer must handle an orphan’s wealth properly and develop it rather than waste it uselessly.
- Consuming Riba (Usury or interest), the action or practice of lending money with interest is forbidden in Quran. Allah has permitted trade and forbidden Riba Qur’an 2:275 “Those who consume interest will stand ˹on Judgment Day˺ like those driven to madness by Satan’s touch. That is because they say, “Trade is no different than interest.” But Allah has permitted trading and forbidden interest. Whoever refrains—after having received warning from their Lord—may keep their previous gains, and their case is left to Allah. As for those who persist, it is they who will be the residents of the Fire. They will be there forever.”
- Turning your back to your enemy and fleeing the battlefield is another sin. This is a sin as this act may affect the troops of believers and they may end up losing the battle and it is a form of treachery. “O you who believe, when you meet those who disbelieve marching to war, then turn not your backs to them. And whoever shall turn his back to them on that day- unless he turns aside for the sake of fighting or withdraws to a company then he, indeed, becomes deserving of Allah’s wrath and his abode is hell; and an evil destination shall it be.” (Qur’an 8:15-16) Islamic teaching promote killing polytheists and non-muslims “When sacred months have passed, kill polytheists wherever you find them. Capture them, besiege them, sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they repent, establish prayer and give zakah, let them go on their way. Indeed, Allah is forgiving and merciful. Quran 9:5
- Lastly, slandering chaste women is by blaming and throwing false accusation on them. This also a sin if done against men. Allah (SWT) says: “Verily, those who accuse chaste women, who never even think of anything touching their chastity and are good believers – are cursed in this life and in the Hereafter, and for them will be a great torment” (Qur’an 24:23).